Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Spirit of Solstice - Sun Stands Still - Hope Is Renewed



The Eight of Cups very much corresponds with my thoughts today about letting go. Psyche, as she descends into the underworld, all hope seems lost, and even abandoned. There is nothing more left, for her to do, but to let go of the past, and of the future. Letting go for me is about turning things over to the God of my understanding. Letting go is rather like releasing a balloon. Once we let it go, it begins to float, you don't grab hold of the long string attached, and take it back again, when you let it go, it is gone.

 As I was saying to a friend today, it is easy to let go, when things are all going accordingly. I compare it to loving those who are easy to love. There is no virtue in that, those who are miserably unkind, and cruel do this. Loving the unlovable, or embracing difficulties, and burdens is how I learn those important life lessons.

On the shortest day of the year, The Winter Solstice's literal meaning of the word, is "Sun stands still". Today is the perfect time to reflect on the past year, and look to the renewed hope for the coming year and the future.

 The shortest day of the year gives way to the celebration of rebirth, and longer days to come, as the sun will shine brighter through to the Summer Solstice on June 21st, the longest day of the year. This day has special meaning to me because it was the day I married my soul mate. Though Bill left this mortal coil over 34 years ago, I still miss him deeply, especially at Christmas. He was the kindest soul I've ever known, and as the sun stands still today,  I will carry him close, in the small of my heart, as I always do.


2 comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Catherine! I love this song so much!
I am sure your Bill will keep you close to his heart too and I am certain one day you two will meet again.:)
Hugs
Hugs

Unknown said...

Me too Ellen I have heard it before, but forgot about it until it was played this morning on CBC radio. It is beautiful isn't it. I love the lyrics.

I look forward to that day I see Bill again.

Thank you Ellen <3