Friday, December 26, 2014

Ten of Cups



I spent Christmas with some very dear, and close friends yesterday. I consider them to be very much like family. My good friend Lois, is like the sister I've never had. It was truly a beautiful day, and I was very grateful. After Christmas dinner, my friend and I were in the kitchen, having a heart to heart talk. She said she worried about me, when I spend Christmas by myself. I told her not to worry about me. They go away every other Christmas, and so I don't spend it with them as I usually do, as they travel to the States for Christmas.

This got me to thinking, as I drew the Ten of Cups this morning, a card that represents "ongoing contentment and permanence in the realm of the heart ", when I then happened across this very wise, fitting, comforting, and truthful quote.



I have spent a good portion of my life in my own company alone, and so I've learned to get comfortable in the my own skin. I wasn't always comfortable with being alone, but once I sobered up, it became much easier and I actually value living alone. 
I really strive to be my own best friend, and to learn how to be alone, whether in a relationship with another or not.

 I heard on CBC radio this morning, an item about people experiencing loneliness, particularly the elderly, and how they do not have as long of a life expectancy, as others, if they have few social connections. I believe this to be true. Thankfully today, many elderly folks can socially interact through Skype and other online services, but many are still ignored, and neglected especially during the holidays. As the old adage often seems to hold true, ' Out of site out of mind '.

The radio program late last night, featured a 94 year old woman, who over the past eight years, had been using the internet. She Skyped with her friends and family. She stated how much it had changed her life. She'd grown up in South Africa as an orphan, were she was never shown any signs of affection. It was a very touching story she had to tell, one of hope, and a woman's inner soul strength. 

A few nights ago I was re-reading, as I often do, my most cherished book, Women Who Run With The Wolves, by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I was reading about the definition of the word alone, and the story of the Sea Maiden, or Seal Skin, Soul Skin, which is about ' Returning to Oneself. '

Originally the meaning of alone, consisted of two words , all one, which meant to be wholly one, which is related to intentional solitude. In ancient days solitude or the all one state once was palliative, preventative, and a way of listening to the inner self, and used as an oracle, a way to call up the soul, take a personal inventory and assessment our lives. Doing this I believe this is the way we draw our soul strength.

Seal Skin, Soul Skin - Catherine Meyers


Carl Jung said, " It would be far better simply to admit our spiritual poverty....When spirit becomes heavy, it turns to water....Therefore the way of the soul...leads to water. " The return to home and the intervals of conversing with the seal from the rock in the sea are our acts of innate and integral ecology, for they all are a return to the water, a meeting with the wild friend, the one who above all others loves us unremittingly, unguardedly, and with profound endurance. We need only look into and learn from those soulful eyes that are " wild and wise and loving. "  - Women Who Run With The Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Winter Wolf

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Again a beautiful painting Catherine.I love the blue and purple colors! Like you, I've learned to live alone and enjoy my own company. Being without my husband for more then ten years now has made me an independent and stronger woman. Although my two daughters are still living with me I know deep down I could be happy and content without them If I knew they would be happy elsewhere.
Love to reread this book too.There is always a new sentence or a phrase which captures my attention
Hugs <3

Unknown said...

Thank you Ellen <3

It's a book that is so rich in deep wisdom, and has like you say always a new gem that captures your attention.

Hugs to you Ellen