Saturday, March 15, 2014

History, Origins and Myths of The Tarot



Before I began to learn about Tarot cards, I had some preconceived notions. Notions about the implications of being a reader, the meanings of the cards, how their meanings were relative to my life, and to the life of others.

In the late 1960s, was the first time I had gone to a reader, in my teens, many years ago, close to my neighbouring, small, Nova Scotian town. My friends and me, nervously anticipated meeting the woman we'd heard about, and whom we thought, was going to " tell our fortune ". She was a very sweet old woman, living all alone in a very old house, a top a steep hill we had slowly and persistently trodden, then to finally reach and enter with trepidation, into her old, dimly lite home, that had that old wood smell.

 We had decided to go and see her, just before leaving for a big road adventure, hitchhiking to visit one my friend's sisters, who lived in the city Ottawa, Ontario. It was going to be a very long trip. I remember only two things about the reading. Sure enough, she first did tell me, I would be going on a trip, which is often the proverbial thing people say they would hear, when going to a so called "fortune teller".  Then next thing she said I thought was ridiculous . She added, "And you are not the world's best packer." I laughed and pondered for this for a minute. I was confused and I couldn't figure out why in the world she would say such a thing.

Finally reaching Ottawa, and once over the initial excitement upon our arrival, now in the big city, I promptly began to unpack the contents of my backpack, only to find very little in the way of everyday clothes, that I should have brought with me. I did bring probably twenty pairs of socks.Why I did that I still haven't figured out. I still have a laugh about this now and again, but I am a much better packer now a days!

I just thought I'd share that little story, however what I really wanted to do is to let you know some of the misconceptions, history and the origins of Tarot.
The link Villa Revak is a great site that does provide a great deal of clarification. It will help you to discern and better understand some of the many preconceived ideas, accuracies and inaccuracies, about Tarot. It is very educational, has a plethora of information, and references to explore.
And if you're going on a trip, just a word to the wise, don't take too many socks.


No comments: