Friday, May 15, 2015

Transformation - The Death Card



It doesn't seem to matter how many times I draw the Death card from my Mythic Tarot deck, it still startles me even though I know full well this is a positive card about transformation. It is a personal kind of transformation that it speaks of a dying to old behaviours, becoming someone new, evolved and changed in some way for the better. It certainly isn't a negative, nor is it a indication of physical death. Regardless, I still have that initial visceral reaction every time it comes up for me.

I suspect the reason for this, has to do with having experiencing a lot of death in my own life, and I do think about it, which I believe is a good thing, because we live in a society that is preoccupied with keeping death at a distance, and having a negative outlook.  However, I am in need to get out of my head and get prepared for a good death. There I said it. So I have to ask myself, how to prepare for this and figure out just what this means to me, and then makes plans to ensure that this is implemented, when ever that time comes.

We have in our society the big business of funeral homes, an obsession with youth, ageism, and a resistance to openly broach the subject, causing us and resulting in our having a fearful attitude toward death, and an existing denial of the natural life-death-life cycle.

Over the years I have become more and more interested in how death has the most to teach me about life. It is good to know that I am not alone in having this perspective, and organizations like The Order of The Good Death, can help people to transform their perceptions about death and dying.

7 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

I never thought I would be one of those folks who started reading the obituaries each week. I guess it is because I am growing older; death shows its face among friends and family frequently now. Being dead doesn't scare me as much as the process of dying. I suppose hospice and good drugs can help with that though. Now I mostly think about what I'll leave behind - not money, but the memories people will carry of me.

Unknown said...

Your comment brought a little smile to my face this morning Bev. Yes I guess we've become one of 'those' people. ;) My mum used to play the organ in a funeral home. I used to think her 'preoccupation' about who died was a little off putting, but I certainly understand now. I think caring about death just means we care much about life.

We all need to leave some kind of legacy I think. Hopefully it is a good one!

Ellen said...

I perceive death as a transition either during this life or after this life. Since I am alive today I tend to see it as shedding my old skin like a snake.Only I wish our changes and transformations were as easy as the shedding of a skin

Unknown said...

I like your thinking Ellen. Me too! Some transitions are harder than others,that's for sure. Seems the harder the transition the more our growth is challenged, and growing pains can hurt a lot!

thesycamoretree said...

"I think caring about death just means we care much about life." - I love this!

Unknown said...

Awww thank you Bev.
Funny looking again closely, this card Death is being offered a flower, and other things that those gathered around seem to be offering as well.
Just wished Death didn't look so much like Darth Vader! ;)

Neopagan Priestess said...

It's interesting, the Mythic Death is quite scary - big and dark and masked. And yet, the figures at his feet look a lot happier than those on the RWS.
As you say, thinking about death is no bad thing. I've always hoped I'd go quickly, however that might be. Still, I'd like to see my boys grow up a bit first…