Friday, April 10, 2015

Temperance Vs Adventure



When I saw that I'd drawn the Major Arcana card of Temperance today, it immediately felt like a right connection, and the perfect card for me today. Upon further reflection I see why. You might not think temperance and adventure are related, but they are.

When people hear the word Temperance, some folks may relate to it negatively, as they envision a bunch of purple rinse haired old ladies, who strictly adhere to a whack of rules, like complete abstinence in every area of their lives; sitting in stern judgment of others, to whom they are certain, are hell bound due to their indulgences of the demon drink, smokes and any kind of sexin' or other impure thoughts! Much the way some of my relatives lived life under tyrannical control and conditions. There was no dancing, no school, no woman wearing pants, playing cards, especially on Sunday, . It was like, everything was evil and a rule, and as if life itself was either immoral, unsafe, or illegal. Guidelines were non-existent.

Believe it or not, I once lived in the Women's Christian Temperance Union, however I was never temperate to say the least. I just needed an affordable place to live, as a poor student in Toronto!

In the Temperance card we meet the beautiful mythic figure of Iris, the goddess of the rainbow, symbolizing the renewal of relationship and Iris representing feeling. Her opposite counterpart is Justice (Athene), the rational one.

 In the way Temperance and Justice need each other, temperance and adventure need one another as well. Although Iris and Athene may be enemies in myth or the enemies within ourselves, we must integrate these two, as they will and can offer different solutions to the same problem.

 Having temperance in life is not about living life literally by the words like no, and don't, should or and shouldn't, in the sense that rigidly produces bad guilt and shame, in a puritanical,  judgmental, and merciless way. Temperance is about harmony, balance of the heart with kindness and mercy.

If we don't have adventure we can't transform ourselves. We stay stuck, bored, safe and it's not much fun!
The momentum to move forward comes when we grow and develop confidence. With confidence and adventure we are relieved of our boredom, and then the excitement begins! Growth and adventure are conduits for transformation.

Adventurer

I refuse to believe I'll ever be too old for adventure and and hope. If I thought no adventures would ever come again. I'd shrivel up, to age and die too soon.

Adventure scoops me up out of lethargy and rescues me from dull security.

Adventure requires leaving the safety of the known. I affirm: I am willing to
take the risks adventures entail.

Adventure requires the willingness to conquer. I affirm: I will be a victor in my adventures.

Adventures requires the willingness to have fun. I affirm:
I'll experience challenges as exercises in joy.
I'll be an explorer of life's mazes, instead of feeling trapped by them.
I'll view obstacles as delirously delicious lessons.
I'll recognize and revel in the beauty of strange new lands.
I'll participate in the laughing game of stubborn stick-to-itiveness.
So be it! 
              - Francis De Grandis



5 comments:

Ellen said...

beautiful post Catherine!
I always thought adventures were supposed to be grand: "to boldly go were no man has gone before". But now I realize adventures are to be found in the challenges of everyday life when we are able to unlock the road between our head and our heart. :)

Unknown said...

Aww thank you Ellen. <3

I learned a long time ago to never underestimate what you have to share with another because we never now how this can help them.

We all have our own story(s) to share that someone else will benefit from, and so it is important that we share. Funny, I have a beautiful friend I met online who lives in Nova Scotia. We've never met but I did a reading for him which it seemed to help a lot, turns out he is going in less than ten days to Spain to walk the Santiago de Compostela. That's a big adventure! I'm so proud of him! But yes Ellen, you are certainly right the everyday adventures, inner and outer ones are just as vital!

This post helped him and is timely. It makes me feel really good if it can give him strength along the Way of Saint James.

thesycamoretree said...

I agree wholeheartedly! :D Your post made me think of this quote (source is Anonymous):
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Unknown said...

Oh wow girl! That is pure beautiful gold! Lol. Thank you so much for that! You've made my night! <3 Lol

Unknown said...

Looks like that quote was from Hunter S. Thompson. Sounds like him!