Friday, October 6, 2017

Page of Swords - Blowing Up a Storm





Creative curiosity, innate capabilities and the raw childlike energy of independent thought, are all embodied in the Page of Swords.

Here we see depicted the mythic figure of Zephyrus, brother to Boreas. These two brothers were worshiped as savage and baleful forces of nature, immature and unbridled. They took pleasure in brewing up storms, though Zephyrus's nature eventually softened and transformed himself through his union with the beautiful and gentle Iris, the guardian of the rainbow, whom we met in the Major Arcana card Temperance.

The underlining message indicated, and the challenge set before me in the Page of Swords is to refrain from childish and unbridled behaviour. If I react childishly I'll more likely than not, be treated accordingly, in kind. When I make mountains out of mole hills, I stir up trouble for myself and for others.  And if others choose to gossip about me, I have to remind myself, what people think of me, is really none of my business. If I avoid gossip, gossip will tend to avoid me.

We are all on a different points of the emotional, intellectual and spiritual spectrum. One size does not fit all. Left over scars from our youth and left over familial issues sometimes come to the surface, and are born out in our adult relationships because we've been hurt in the past, and we tend to act out in the way we did as children, in order to cope. However these coping mechanisms no longer work as an adult. But if we give ourselves a chance, it certainly is possible to change these old behaviours in order to heal our hurts and free ourselves to be happy and healthy adults.

"We change our behaviour when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing. Consequences give us the pain that motivates us to change. "
                                                                                - Henry Cloud

No comments: