Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Wheel of Fortune - The Shortest Day





I was kind of hoping I might draw the Sun or maybe the Moon today, but the Wheel of Fortune is the most suitable card on this approaching Solstice, which arrives here in Nova Scotia at 6:44 am December 21st 2016.

Winter Solstice is the time of year I always look so forward to, more so than Christmas because my head is full of thoughts of Spring and light. Winter has never been my favourite time of year, perhaps because I was born in June, but I'll certainly celebrate the return of the light.

 I'll plant some garlic inside the house for my Solstice celebration and light some special bees wax candles in my Candelabras.

The Wheel of Fortune is a fitting card being the Major Arcana card that reminds me of the balance and the seemingly imbalances, our ups and downs and the ying and yang of our lives. Winter Solstice is paired for me with the Summer Solstice on June 21st, the day my late husband and I were married.

And so I'll say prayers for those of us who are thinking of loved ones we deeply miss, no longer with us on this mortal coil, but forever live in the light, close to our heart our hearts.



Samian Night - Loreena Mckennitt

When the moon on a cloud cast night
Hung above the tree tops' height
You sang me of some distant past
That made my heart beat strong and fast
Now I know I'm home at last

You offered me an eagle's wing
That to the sun I might soar and sing
And if I heard the owl's cry
Into the forest I would fly
And in its darkness find you by.

And so our love's not a simple thing
Nor our truths unwavering
But like the moon's pull on the tide
Our fingers touch, our hearts collide
I'll be a moons breath by your side.




2 comments:

Ellen said...

I love that song so much!
Today my draw was similar to yours. I think on a Midwinter day they are all quite fitting :)
I wish you a wonderful Yule
Hugs

Unknown said...

It's one of my very favourites on this beautiful Solstice Day and Night Ellen, and it makes me happy to know you love it too! The Wyrd sisters are Canadian as is Loreena McKennitt. She sings such beautiful songs and is a Harpist, Very ancient mystical poems she puts to music. My favourite is The Dark Night of the Soul a poem by Saint John of the Cross, a mystic. She puts many poems to music. The Lady of Shallot by Lord Tennyson is magical!

I'm sending you abundant Yule Blessings, my dear sweet friend <3